Monday, December 8, 2008

Mystery Girl

Setting: BYU vs Wyoming Football game
When: September 20, 2008
Where: North end zone student section, Lavell Edwards Stadium
Who: Me, Tia, and Mystery Girl

(Halfway through the game)
Tia: "Bryan, that girl up there is cute. You should ask her out."

Bryan: "Hah, okayyy..."

(15 minutes later Mystery Girl turns around and Bryan sees her face.)
Bryan, joking: "You're right, Tia. You should get her number for me."

(End of shutout out game. Crowd is dispersing in all directions. Mystery Girl turns left, my group of friends turns right.)
Tia: "Bryan, you're letting her get away!"

Bryan, still joking: "Hah. Darn. You failed me, Tia. I told you to get her number for me."
Tia does an about-face and begins moving quickly in the direction of Mystery girl. I suddenly become very concerned and pretend that I don't know what is going on. I keep walking with everyone else in the opposite direction of Mystery girl. I'm already pretty embarrassed. Tia catches up to Mystery Girl, well out of ear shot. Tia walks up and introduces herself to Mystery Girl, shaking her hand.
Tia: "Hi. I'm Tia."

Mystery Girl: "Hi. I'm _______."

Tia: "We were sitting behind you a during the game, and my friend thought that you were cute."
Girl laughs.
Tia, quickly making up an excuse: "He and I had a bet about if the game would end up being a shutout or not. If Wyoming had scored, he would be getting your number right now. Can I get it for him?"
Mystery Girl appears flattered, but she laughs uneasily.
Mystery Girl: "Sorry. If he wanted it, he should have come to get it himself."

Tia and I had a pretty good laugh about the situation. I was glad she didn't get the number - that way I didn't have to be pressured into asking her out and feeling like a creepy stalker.

---
Flash forward a few months.
---

Setting: The Wilk.
When: Last Friday, December 5, halfway through my lunch.


I look up from my food and notice someone at the table next to me. She looks familiar, yet somehow I don't think I've ever talked to her. A friend of a friend? Did I have some GE with her a long time ago? Is she just some good looking girl that I've noticed on campus before?

No, wait! It's her! Wyoming Football Game Mystery Girl!

But she doesn't know who I am. I wasn't there when Tia talked to her after the game. Too bad I'm even more afraid of approaching her now than I was then.

(10 minutes of mental deliberation later)

I slide my chair around so I'm closer to Mystery Girl and facing her directly.

Bryan: "So I have a funny story to tell you."

Mystery Girl, smiling: "Okay."

Bryan: "I'm Bryan. Earlier this year at the the Wyoming football game I was sitting behind you and my friend suggested that I get your number. I never planned on getting it, but I joked about it with her a little bit. As you walked away after the game, she ran up to you, made up some story about a bet that we had, and asked for your number. So... yeah. I'm the creepy guy behind that whole incident. I just recognized you here and spent a few minutes talking myself into telling you so that we could laugh about the whole incident."
Mystery Girl laughs, and then reaches out and shakes my hand.
Mystery Girl: "I'm Sharee. Nice to meet you. Sorry, but you've totally got the wrong girl. That wasn't me at all. I liked your story though!"

Oops.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Bryan, I love that you did this, that's hilarious! And how did I *not* know that you had a blog?